Successful book design requires a combination of skills. In addition to designing an aesthetically pleasing cover that accurately depicts the author's vision, the internal page layout needs to have the right look and feel. For example: the choice of font determines the overall look of the publication and subconsciously influences the reader. Font is just one aspect in a long list of factors including: line spacing, margins and kerning etc., but when properly combined, they form a coherent design that complements the subject.
Thesis / dissertation
Theses are also books, but require a special approach due to their scientific nature. Especially when working with abstract subjects, it can be a challenge to create a design that portrays the subject well. For this reason it's a good idea to work with a designer when creating the cover for your dissertation, someone who has experience with visualising complex topics, and designing to suit the personal taste of the author. Theses usually contain many tables, figures and graphs, which means that there is little room for error. This requires a certain amount of precision and perfectionism. To design a dissertation that meets all requirements and stands out from the crowd of publications, you must be creative, but able to work very precisely.
Brand identity design
A brand / corporate identity is the system that a company uses for its external communication - how it presents itself to the public. Common elements of an identity are the name, logo, color, font and language used. All these elements are used consistently in external expressions such as website, business cards, stationery etc. A successful brand identity achieves four main goals:
- Differentiation: In highly competitive markets, brands need to have a clear differentiation or reason for being. What they represent needs to stand apart from others in order to be noticed, make an impression, and to ultimately be preferred.
- Relevance: Brands need to connect to what people care about out in the world. To build demand, they need to understand and fulfil the needs and aspirations of their intended audiences.
- Coherence: To assure credibility with their audiences, brands must be coherent in what they say and do. All the messages, all the marketing communications, all the brand experiences, and all of the product delivery need to hang together and add up to something meaningful.
- Esteem: A brand that is differentiated, relevant and coherent is one that is valued by both its internal and external audiences. Esteem is the reputation a brand has earned by executing clearly on both its promised and delivered experience.
When choosing the right printing partner it's important to look further than the price at the bottom of the quote. Printing techniques differ not only in cost, but also in the type of product or design they are best suited for, so it's always a good idea to base your choice on the specific project. If you need help then choose this service and all aspects of the printing and production process will be completely handled for you. Which means you'll have one point of contact from design to delivery - and you can focus on what's really important to you.
- Define problem and/or goals: Every project begins with the definition of the problem that needs to be solved or the goal for the design.
- Research: Once the goals are defined it's time to do some research and collect as much information as possible. For example: and in depth comparison of the competition, or some background research on a medical subject.
- Sketching / design framework: Rough sketches are made to visualise the design proposition. These are generally very basic and intended only to define the general design plan.
- Design: Once the concept fase is completed the design is created, now including all details and colours.
- Feedback / revisions: Presentation of design, followed by feedback and revisions. How many rounds of revisions there are is decided at the beginning of the project.
- Final design: Delivery of final design documents.
- Print proof: For printed products the printing company will usually send a print proof so that the quality can be checked before placing the final order.
- Delivery: Once the print proof has been checked and approved final production will begin. Delivery is planned and the products are sent.
Chamber of commerce: 52983617
VAT identification: NL002433051B73